How to Generate Blog Content Ideas: Five Tips
Ask anyone who has a blog. After the initial rush of enthusiasm and ideas, when you are deep into the routine of publishing two, three, or more posts per week, continuing to generate quality blog content ideas is a challenge.
Sometimes at Wizeo, we wish we could wave a magic blog wand. But we don’t need to. Because with these five top tips, we can help our clients publish regular, relevant blog posts that resonate with their customers. Evergreen content that keeps the organic traffic flowing and works hard to generate leads far beyond its initial publication.
Tip #1: Your Customers Are a Goldmine for Blog Content Ideas
Putting your customers at the heart of your blog content strategy is a foolproof way to ensure your posts remain relevant and engaging. But how do you come up with what to write?
If you haven’t already done any customer research to help define your brand image and voice, then now is the time to get started. Your customers are a wealth of blog content ideas. So, find out:
- What are their pain points?
- What problems do they want to solve?
- What are their interests or values?
Direct research with your customers is valuable, but you can also mine industry-specific discussion boards on sites like Reddit, pump your sales team for information, or trawl through your customer case studies to find your answers. Each answer will spark multiple blog content ideas.
Tip #2: Pro Blog Content Writers Use Keyword Research
What keywords do your customers type into Google to find your website? Keyword research tools like Semrush, Moz, and Ahrefs offer valuable insights into what your target audience is searching for.
- Look for keywords that you haven’t previously targeted or keywords that are currently only bringing in a small volume of traffic to your site.
- Long tail keywords, often with a low number of searches, offer excellent blog content ideas. Things like “how to write a blog post in WordPress” or “how to optimize a blog post for SEO” rather than simply “blog post”.
- Analyze your competitors too. Which keywords are bringing in traffic to their websites?
- Use a keyword generator tool like Semrush to find questions and phrases – your potential blog content ideas – which contain your target keyword. You can see how many searches each question or phrase has per month and how difficult it will be to get a blog post ranking well for that search term.
Tip #3: Use Google’s ‘People Also Ask’ Results Box
This handy box on the first page of the Google search results should be one of your first go-tos for blog content ideas. Here’s how to use it to beef up your blog strategy:
- Type a search query into
- Google relevant to your industry, products, or services.
- Scroll down past the first few listings and expand the ‘People always ask’ box
- Here you’ll find a list of similar searches and questions that you can add to your bank blog content ideas
If you’re blogging for SEO, you’ll want to double-check how many searches each question gets per month or use the results to find other relevant keywords with higher search volumes to target.
Tip #4: Be Hyper-Specialized
How many blog posts can you write around the same topic? One? Five? Ten? Rather than being generic, think about each blog post as a way to pinpoint a specific element or idea of a broader topic. You might like to bring them all together under one umbrella post too.
Example: A blog post titled “How to Write a Blog” might generate several more detailed articles. Things like “Blogging for SEO”, “How to Define a Blog Strategy”, “How to Generate Blog Content Ideas”, “Why use Keywords in a Blog?”, “Should I Hire a Blog Content Writer?”. The opportunities for an industry deep dive in blog form are endless.
Tip #5: Use the Wizeo Blog Title Generator
If you’re short on time or need some blog content ideas quickly, then the Wizeo blog title generator is the equivalent of that magic wand we spoke about at the start of this article. Simply pop in a keyword relevant to your brand, and we’ll generate a selection of blog title ideas that you can take home and plug into your blog strategy.
Our Final Thoughts
Publishing regular content on a blog doesn’t have to be time-consuming. Use the tricks our professional blog content writers use, and you’ll have more blog content ideas than you can shake a stick at.
If there are more blog topics than you can tackle in one go, then log them into a blog content ideas bank – a spreadsheet or word document works – so you can check back at regular intervals to keep your content flowing.